Are more houses being constructed? And what about the average and median prices of houses being sold?
Has Gold, U.S. Equities or U.S. Property performed the best? We compare the performance of each and the results are surprising.
The media has recently been writing about an apparent house price crash for UK house prices but it isn’t that bad. We wrote in May that UK house sales and house price growth are slowing, the on the ground situation hasn’t changed since and the newly available statistics support that.
Several people in the UK didn’t experience the great (property price) crash of 2008. But several other people did. A decade on – do people remember? Here is a sample of prices from London’s financial district – Canary Wharf. And no, we haven’t taken the worst-case example, this is truly representative,
We asked the question, Are the British obsessed about house buying and house prices? a couple of months ago.
The British are obsessed about house prices because most of their wealth outside of pensions is invested in property.
Here is a summarized comparison of the different house price indices in the United Kingdom,
Based on data from Eurostat, here are key takeaways about house prices in the European Union between 2008 and 2017,
- 18 of the 28 countries that are part of the European Union saw house prices fall
- 10 of the 28 countries that are part of the European Union saw house prices rise
- Only 4 countries have seen prices rise over 10% during the entire period
- 14 countries have seen prices fall over 10% during the entire period
- Romania (-48.77%), Greece (-42.84%) and Spain (-30.50%) were the 3 worst performing countries for house prices
- Sweden (+55.72%), Austria (+39.57%) and Luxembourg (+32.41%) were the 3 best performing countries for house prices
- The average house price across the European Union fell 6.98% between 2008 and 2017
It is said that an Englishman’s home is his castle. Is that the reason the British are so obsessed about house buying? Continue reading “Are the British obsessed about house buying and house prices?”